Jyotirlinga are the 12 special shrines dedicated to Shiva since ancient times .A Jyotirlinga or Jyotirling or Jyotirlingam is a shrine where Lord Shiva , an aspect of God in Hindusim is worshipped in the form of a Jyotirlingam or Lingam of Light,There are Twelve Jyotirlinga Temples in India These 12 jyotirlinga shrines are-
- Somnath JyotirLing in Saurashtra (Guj),
- Mallikarjun jyotirling in Srisailam (A.P.),
- Mahakaleshwar jyotirling in Ujjain (M.P.), Omkareshwar jyotirling in Shivpuri / mamaleswara (M.P.)
- Lord Baijnath jyotirling in Devghar (Bihar)
- Nageswar jyotirling in Darukavanam (Guj)
- Kedareswar jyotirling in Kedarnath / Himalayas (Utt)
- Tryambakeswar jyotirling in Nasik (Mah)
- Rameshwar jyotirling in Setubandanam / Rameshwaram (T.N.)
- Bhimashankar jyotirling in Dakini (Mah)
- Visweswar jyotirling in Varanasi (U.P.) and
- Ghrishneswar jyotirling in Devasrovar (Mah).
Two jyotirlinga are on the sea shore, three jyotirlinga on river banks, four jyotirlinga in the heights of the mountains and three jyotirlinga in villages located in meadows.